Friday, February 09, 2007

Sumi-e : Chinese Black Ink Painting

Bamboo has a deeper meaning in Chinese culture. Bamboo represents the aspects to a true noble gentleman. Bamboo is straight (honest), and Chinese people also believe that bamboo represents the modesty, strength, and it never gives up because it continues to grow taller and taller. All of the traits of a good man.

"If we study Japanese Art, we see a man who is undoubtedly wise, philosophic and intelligent, who spends his time doing what? In studying the distance between the earth and moon? No. In studying Bismark's policy? No. He studies a single blade of grass."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Sumi-e means: Black Ink Painting. Black ink on white paper. Simple, elegant and serene. Simplicity is the most outstanding characteristic of Sumi-e. An economy of brush strokes are used to communicate the essence of the subject.

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever notice how much you resemble Clint Eastwood when he was young? LOL

    I paint sumie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha anonymous... so funny.. ya maybe, except some features ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I ask, why not create your own entries? Why steal others' content to post here? That's so tacky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess Anonymous its you agian. I have replied you already. If i would have been original won'y i sell my work for millions!!
    Just watch it, read and leave...
    You want me to delete it. I will. I dont mind :) but people would like to know more about it, just incase they chance upon my work. So i have put it.

    I know nothing of my own.

    ReplyDelete