Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Valentine de Kerven

Madame Valentine de Kerven was a remarkable woman in her own right. Born in Switzerland in August 1901, she was the daughter of a famous brain surgeon Swiss brain surgeon (after whom the deKerven's Syndrome is named). Her grandfather was a clergyman. Valentine left Switzerland for Paris at the age of eighteen, to lead an independent life. She was never a believer in any religious doctrine and was a revolutionary in more ways than one.
Valentine belonged to a group of artists and writers. She was interested in photography and modern art and was an active member of a French experimental theater group. She became closely associated with the poet-philosopher, Antonin Artaud, who was also an anarchist. She used to design costumes as well. She was a trained nurse too and worked with the Red Cross in Switzerland during and after the War.
Valentine lived openly with a male friend, which in those days was considered a social offence. She and her friend were the first to cross the uncharted Sahara desert on motorcycles. She was also the first woman to wear pants in Paris. She made a documentary on gypsies and was the first female film producer in France. Her production company was called "de Kerven Films".
She made an unsuccessful attempt to join the fight against Franco and the Fascists in Spain. In the Fifties, she drove from Switzerland to India, a trip which turned out to be the first of many she would make.
She was a close companion of the iconoclastic philosopher U.G.Krishnamurti till her end. Valentine passed away peacefully on 20 January 1991.

11 comments:

  1. Since you presumably "admire creativity," why not write your own entries, rather than plagiarizing the text from others' writings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous,
    It would have been great to know about this lady personally but i was a little too young when she was alive & my parents never knew her nor were into spirituality business to have remotely known her. They were busy trying to make ends meet. So there was no chance for me too know her :( so i had to borrow whatever information i could get on the internet.
    Sorry, I forgot to give the reference of the text.

    Anyway, If she would have been alive I don't think she would have mind even if i claimed to be the guy who crossed the Sahara with her. So i am least bothered about what u have to say. But i love to communicate my feelings as u have to my sketch.

    Well, what one calls creativity, does not exist as all thats in the brain is what we have been seeing in our existence. I sing someone elses song, be it a person an instrument or nature. Thats it.

    I can never be original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, if you want to know...the "famous guy" who crossed the desert of The Sahara (I've still have the original version of their book and pictures of this trip, maybe one day, I will publish them? ...) was my father (cubism artist)!
    - Walmar Schwab - (1.09.1902 (Finland)-19.08.2000 (Geneva, Switzerland))
    The thing Valentine maybe never really said...that she became famous with the help of WS...in the early 20' 30'...they were together until 1964...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karina

      Could you mail some pictures of V and WS and the PDF version of the book, if available, to my e-mail : jpanakalu@gmail.com ?
      Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

      ---Panakalu J

      Delete
    2. Hi Karina

      Could you mail some pictures of V and WS and the PDF version of the book, if available, to my e-mail : jpanakalu@gmail.com ?
      Thanks in anticipation of your reply.

      ---Panakalu J

      Delete
    3. Hi Karina,
      I am especially interested in WS:He had his (maybe) first exposition in the famous Gallery "Der Sturm" in Berlin in the late 20's.
      If you are willing and able to give me more informations about WS's life and works, please, get in touch with me.
      My mail adress : vwhp@arcor.de. My name is Volker Pirsich

      Delete
  4. Hello Karina, It's really a very pleasant surprise to hear from you. I cannot believe that someone so close(in any sense)to the picture I sketched will get in touch with me. To tell you, I had made the sketch out of admiration for the woman's spirit in that era and also because I got to know something about U.G.Krishnamurti at that time. I am not really in a position to make comments on her or your father's personal life. The text I've taken is from UG's website.
    Anyway, it's great to know about your father. Will be great if you could send me some pictures of his (if you have no objection). Thanks a lot for your comment. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    do not hesitate to contact me...I need an e-mail from you?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. j'ai bien connu alentine ....formidable etre ..tout au dedans

    ReplyDelete
  7. faute de frapp sur le prénom de valentine ...Zoe laurent

    ReplyDelete
  8. valentine etait une femme superbe ...zoe laurent

    ReplyDelete